Monday, March 19, 2012

Celebrating Fat Tuesday Right!

Just like in the states where Mardi Gras is an excuse to drink excessively, carnival is yet another excuse to drink excessive amounts of sangria and dress up ridiculously. In Spain, Fat Tuesday marks the beginning of carnival season. Sitges, only about 40 minutes south of Barcelona, is the mecca for the gay community and also the carnival capital. Every year this small town becomes filled with scantily clad tourists and locals from all over ready to dance the night away. Filling the streets, dressed in crazy outfits, Sitges carnival is a once in a lifetime experience and one I can proudly say I participated in. 

Shannon and I ready to celebrate carnival

My roommates and I bussed down to Sitges around 8pm that Tuesday night and we returned Wednesday morning around 4 am! It was such a fun experience, one I'll never forget! If you ever wind up in Spain during carnival season, you must head on over to Sitges and check out carnival! 

No comments:

Post a Comment